Re: [CH] Monsanto

Luke Speer (lukasz@midcoast.com.au)
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 21:28:41 +1100

"Inagaddadavida,Baby" wrote:

> Twas Writ:
> no...they used devices of crossbreeding, selective breeding, etc...and
> what's going on today is not "genetic manipulation", it is genetic
> engineering which typically involves injecting foreign (read: NOT natural)
> genetic material into otherwise "normal" material (seeds, etc.)...granted,
> i'm no scientist and do not claim to be, but what Mendel was doing was
> childsplay compared to the mass mutations going on today by the likes of
> Monsanto and others...their "creations" threaten to wreak environmental
> havoc, and purely for profit motive...
> cattle are typically pumped full of antibiotics and growth hormones, a
> "standard" which has threatened the usefulness and potency of our
> antibiotics today...milk cattle are often fed bovine growth hormone which
> is not only unecessary (there is no milk shortage in any shape or form) but
> detrimental to the cattle themselves...and for both examples, the
> motivation is again, purely profit with little regard to environmental
> impact...
> true...but one should look at the sources of GMOs...companies like monsanto
> who have publicly stated that their motivations are merely God Money...and
> said company also has a very black history in terms of "development" : DDT,
> agent orange, etc...*and* said company, along with most other "life
> science" companies, are doing little, if any, testing of their "creations"
> to see if indeed GMOs could be a Pandora's Box...
> in otherwords, the companies dealing in GMOs are motivated by greed and
> express little concern for consequences of their actions, i.e. illustrate
> irresponsible behavior on a grand scale...
> hard to vote with wallets when companies do NOT want the consumer to know
> if GMOs are in food products...hard to vote with wallets when GM-seeds are
> being grown all over the world without regards to environmental concerns,
> i.e. the "price" to pay is too damn high...hard to vote with wallets when
> if indeed the USA, for example, could actually get GMOs out of our
> backyard, Monsanto and their ilk simply push their crap down the throats of
> third-world countries, even if their "technology" is found to be
> detrimental to the environment...just look at DDT...still manufactured
> today and exported to those countries that grow some of the fresh produce
> Americans, and others like to enjoy year-round...hope we all enjoy our DDT
> flavored fruits and veggies...
> eat 'em up yum...
> Peace, Hendrix, and my apologies, I'll stick to chiles, but damned if GMOs
> ain't a sore spot for this redneck...

9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

> Lacking lucidity at this point in time this Deep Southern Redneck [Not as
> deep as the Kiwis]  really cain't add much to Brer Raels comments.

Only thing I can add is my personal opinion that if I ever wanted to play God
one of the last things I would ever contemplate doing was tinkering with the
basic building blocks of life as we know it..
FWIW : Count me as a Redneck ..
Cook, Hunt, Own Guns, Own Pickup truck{small-japanese] but rusty..
own dog, and have Chawed Tobacco..
Above all I would refer Heads to a quote sent me by Randy Ransom List member
Extrordinaire..

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so
important to know what it is, but it's good know what it was.
- ~ from "Cowboy Wisdom" ~Thanks to RANDY in Atlanta.