Re: [CH] Bell peppers

Kristofer Blennow (kristofer@blennow.se)
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 19:27:18 +0100

"Parkhurst, Scott Contractor" wrote:

> My wife hates the smell when I broil peppers, bell or otherwise,
> prior to peeling them.  It isn't one of my favorite smells, but it
> quite literally drives her out of the house.

I love the aroma of bells, expecially when they are burning. When I
was a small kid we got stuffed bells all the time, and I always went
sniffing around the kitchen. AND, it was the bell flavour that got me
into chiles and hot foods...  just like any drug leads you on to
heavier stuff...   ;P

Andrew Healy wrote:

> While a healthy debate is raging, about Bell Peppers, I would suggest
> that soaking two TABLESPOONS of black peppercorns (heaped)- either
> whole or crushed- in a half pint of boiling [but unheated] water
> overnight (then the swollen corns are removed- they are tasty too.)
> makes a powerful peppery/capsaicin stock.

Ahem... <besserwisser mode> ...that would be piperine and not
capsaicin, which would explain why it's still so nice and hot. You
don't get "used to" the heat of piperine, so it might be the last
resort for an industrial strength chile-head....  :)

Kristofer