Re: [CH] Heat tolerance

Calvin Donaghey (gdonaghey@bitstreet.com)
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 22:19:51 -0600

Robert-
In my experience, variance in tolerance is a natural result of intake and body
chemistry.  I find that pushing myself past the comfort limit for several days
increases the limit, just like working out increases strength limits.  Likewise,
limiting my intake of heat makes me more sensitive to it.  This is probably further
affected either way by body chemistry.  For example, I have been prescribed BIAXIN,
an antibiotic, and it had two strange side effects:
1. It made me want to eat all the time.  Really bad news for the slightly
overweight geologist.
2. It made me CRAVE spicy food.  I was visiting my brother at the time, and
consumed incredible volumes of Pickled hot peppers, hot pepper pizzas, picante
sauce, powder (I brought my own stash), and on one occasion, all the bottles of
Hab. sauce the Mexican Food place had on hand.
I feel sure that similar but lesser side effects occur with the things we eat and
drink every day, without us really noticing it.   I have found that dairy products
stimulate my appetite and tolerance for heat, while acidic products like tomato
paste decrease them.
I can't speak for other Chs, so I guess you'll have to ask them or experiment.
Calvin