Re: [CH] Dutch oven

Dave Drum (xrated@cityscape.net)
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 19:23:49 -0600

Emile & Dewi wrote:

> Hi Podheads,
>
> I have a question. What is a Dutch oven? I'm Dutch, but I don't know what is
> meant by that.

A "Dutch" oven is a covered cooking pot, typically made of cast iron and
designed to be buried in the coals of a fire to cook the contents - or
to have coals heaped upon the lid.

The "Dutch" part comes from where this pot/style of cooking entered the
American lexicon. It was first popular among the German speaking peoples
who had settle the regions of Eastern Pennsylvania. They described
themselves and their language as "platt Deutsch" - which soon became
corrupted to Pennsylvania Dutch... and their unique amd handy oven to a
"Dutch oven."

At least I think that's accurate. I have one of them which is my main
chilli pot. I've never buried it in a fire - so, I can't testify as to
how well that works.  <GGG>

ENJOY!!!
--------
UNCLE DIRTY DAVE'S KITCHEN --
Home of Yaaaaa Hooooo Aaahhh!!! HOT SAUCE and Hardin Cider