Re: [CH]Monarch Butterflies

Dave Drum (xrated@cityscape.net)
Thu, 02 Mar 2000 08:09:56 -0600

Valerie wrote:

> Not too sure on this, but I believe the reading I've done on this
> subject
> states that the Monarch Butterfly caterpillar is affected by the Bt corn
> pollen which is wind-carried to its sole food source - milkweed leaves.
> Pollen is the lovely yellow dusting that covers your car in spring and
> summer.

Corn pollen does not appear in the spring. Tassels (which produce the
pollen) don't pop up until late June at the earliest. Corn pollen, in my
experience (I grew up on a farm) is relatively coarse. It is not a
"lovely yellow dusting". For that I'd suspect goldenrod and/or ragweed -
major allergens to humern beans.

> BTW, I'm with ya all the way on the lima bean thang!
> Nasty lil buggers, ain't they?! :)

Send 'em to me. I'll eat 'em. Butter beans, too.

ENJOY!!!
--------
UNCLE DIRTY DAVE'S KITCHEN --
Home of Yaaaaa Hooooo Aaahhh!!! HOT SAUCE and Hardin Cider