Re: [gardeners] Asparagus & Rhubarb

Liz Albrook (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 00:57:35 -0800

On 2 Dec 98, at 18:30, Marguerite Ruch wrote:

>         I would like some recommendations for what varieties of
> asparagus, and which varieties of rhubarb would be a good choice for
> growing in southern Missouri.  That is, what varieties have you grown,
> and/or eaten, that you really liked?
>         I will appreciate opinions.
>         Marguerite Ruch

Since no one's responded to this I'll give it a go in regards to
asparagus.  Maybe I'll post enough mis-information that someone
will jump in to correct me.  ;-)

My understanding of asparagus is that the critical factor in
selecting varieties is your location and climate.  I've eaten the older
varieties as well as the newer, more productive all-male new
varieties and haven't noticed much difference in taste.  They're all
good to me (and I generally notice subtle differences in flavors).  To
the best of my knowledge there is not an all-male variety that is
suitable to my part of the country.  I'd suggest that you follow
Allen's Golden Rule of Gardening and consult your county ag agent
concerning what varieties you should consider.

If you have a preference as far as how thick you prefer your
asparagus stalks to be when harvested, you can partially control
thickness by modifying the depth at which you plant the roots.
More deeply planted roots produce thicker stalks, all other factors
being equal.

Liz
Author, _Platitude Soup for the Insipid Soul_