Re: [gardeners] alpine strawberries and johnny jump ups

Kay Lancaster (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 11:41:35 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, c.l. avery wrote:

>   I just received several packets of Johhny Jump Up seeds from Pinetree.
> I seem to remember reading in a book that putting the seeds in the
> fridge for 2-3 weeks before planting would be okay for their cold spell
> needs.

Cold *moist* storage is what's needed  for breaking dormancy in seeds
requiring stratification.  And the time is usually on the order of
10 weeks or so.  However, Viola tricolor (johnny jump ups) just need
soil temps of 70oF to germinate quite well... no  stratification required.

  Does that sound right to you on the list?  I have a large area
> under two big shade trees from which I removed loads and loads of Boston
> Ivy (and poison ivy - makes me itch just to recall it) and I am going to
> scatter the Johnny Jump Up seeds there.  I can hardly wait to see their
> cute little faces coming up from where there is now nothing but brown
> dirt and leaf litter.

When did you clear the area, and how did you do it?  Both of these
have roots to kingdom come, and delight in popping back up when you
think it's safe to plant.  If you just mechanically cleared the area
last year, I'd tend to encourage you to leave the area bare this
year so you can spot the new growth and nab it before it gets very far.

Kay Lancaster    kay@fern.com
   just west of Portland, OR  USDA zone 8 (polarfleece)

ANNOUNCING:  Cyndi Johnson's catalog of gardening catalogs, 17th ed.
For info on obtaining any or all parts (free!) drop a note to
gardeninfo@fern.com