Re: [gardeners] Re:Fence, or something?

Sat, 20 Mar 1999 07:35:01 -0600

"David G. Smith" wrote:

> Well, I suppose I should take another try at making friends with the dog.
> Although planting something on the fence sounds good too.  What kind of
> dog?  Big and red.  A longish-haired retriever sort of dog.  She's a pretty
> dog, really.  They've also got two Shelties, and old one that stays on the
> porch and a young one that's just learning to bark at me.
>
> Talking to the owners isn't likely to happen.  It's sort of odd, I son't
> think I'd know them if I saw them, but I don't like them.  The woman is
> constantly yelling at her kids -- "I hate you", really pleasant stuff like
> that.  The kids mainly ignore her, so I guess yelling is the worst she
> does.  If I'm out splitting wood or something for a while, she'll come out
> and yell at the dog!  That's sort of funny.  A solid wood fence has some
> appeal in that it would keep us from hearing that woman so much.
>
> I think I'll try growing something on the fence, AND making friends with
> the dog.  I don't think she's a mean dog, just bored.  They leave her out
> all day and night, as far as I can tell.
>
> David

Sounds like either a Golden Retreiver or an Irish Setter. Both are sort of
excitable. Your neighbor sounds like a real winner. I believe you should put up
a 12-foot concrete block fence with 3 strands of barb wire on top. That way you
won't be a witness when her kids kill her and bury her in the backyard. ;-)

George