Re: [gardeners] OT -- GRUMP!!

Fri, 09 Apr 1999 15:13:00 -0500

drusus@golden.net wrote:

> And I have a family of groundhogs underneath our backporch...washer, dryer,
> bathroom, pantry out there.  It's built on blocks.  If we don't get them
> out of there they will undermine it.  The ground is already laced with
> tunnels - I stuck a hose down there yeasterday to see.  About 12 feet of
> tunnels.
>
> Any ideas?  dynamite is out, also bazookas, grenades...all the things which
> are effective on groundhogs, the most stupid and persistent animal alive.
>
> Lucinda
>
> At 08:12 AM 09-04-99 -0600, you wrote:
> >Everybody better stay out of my way today.  Paper is late, dog says it's
> >here and he's lying.  Open the sliding glass door on a blizzard.  Damned
> >calender says it's April 9, but who ever heard of "for April blizzards, may
> >come your way..."  Got the aches and the garden isn't planted.  All reasons
> >enough for grumping.  Margaret L

If you know someone with a standard dachshund you might try to borrow it. Not
one of the little wimpy things most people keep but the full-fledged badger
hund. Supposedly they will go in and flush them out. Stand by with your
Louisville slugger. Remember that young groundhog is a delicacy in some parts of
the US midwest.

Alternatively you might drop about a six-foot timber rattler in there and see
who flushes first.

Pretty basically, I don't know any good way to get rid of ground hogs. Down here
we just tell the Cajuns they're good eating, there's a closed season, and the
game warden is out of state at a convention. They disappear pretty fast. ;-)

George