Re: [gardeners] Pink peas

Allen and Judy Merten (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 12:32:15 -0500

Hi David,
    The recommended planting date here is 2 to 10 weeks after the last spring
frost date. Date here is March 10th. If I figure right that is from late March to
mid May. It does indeed need to be warm for those Southern specialties like
Crowder, Purple Hull, Black Eyed, Cream Peas, and Okra.
    By mid May the temperatures here are at least 90*. April has had most days at
80* - 85* I think that in the average year, March is a little iffy for being warm
enough.
    If you can plant  in that 2-10 week window after the frost date you will
probably be ok. Contact your county extension agent. I got a pamphlet titled " A
Planning Guide for Your Home Garden" from the extension service. It gives you
specific vegetable, spring or fall garden planting time by so many weeks before or
after last frost date. It even has a list of recommend plant varieties.
Happy Gardening,
Allen
Bastrop Co.
SE Central Tx.