Re: [gardeners] State of the list, and other things

Ron Hay (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 09:59:07 -0800

Good morning, George!

First of all, let me thank you for your "CARE" package which arrived Friday.
I will look forward to planting the cinnamon vine, as soon as it warms up a
bit, as this is our coolest part of the year. I fully expect a freeze within
the next ten days, as this morning we had a cold Santa Ana, with Bearss
"lime bombs" strewn all over at the base of our tree.

We picked the pomagranates and the fuyu persimmons this week, and look
forward to having them as part of our Thanksgiving Day feast.

The birds of paradise and Mexican sage continue to amaze us as to their
profusion of blooms. What a mixture the tangernine and cobalt of the "birds"
make, in concert with the vibrant purple of the sage.

The serrano chiles continue to cranke 'em out, and I will probably pick
another 25 or 30 this afternoon. The pole beans are setting blossoms; the
broccoli continue to grow, and the artichokes (!) are absolutely burgeoning,
in preparation for blooming in February or March, having increased in number
from the original two to about 6 plants by now.

The passion fruit, of which we have harvested about 30 by now, are
continuing to turn purple, prior to falling off the vine as "bombs" in the
Santa Anas.

The basil has scattered seeds all over the ground, while continuing to
delight us with a fresh supply of leaves every time we require basil for
some wonderful tomatoey dish.

The callas! They are now almost 4' tall, and we fully expect blooms within
the week.

We must take steps to protect our newest "baby, " our Beaumontia macadamia
nut tree on our front lawn.  We are thinking of draping a big ol garbage bag
over it at the first sign of a freeze, and place jugs of warm water under
it. I am told that this will be necessary the first  year, as it does not
have sufficient root structure to enable it to withstand temps of 28
degrees, which it typically gets down to on the night of the freeze, of
which I hope we only have one or two. But this year, with La Nina holding
sway, who knows?!

Meanwhile I must get back to my Danish red cabbage with vinegar and currant
jelly, which I am making ahead of time, so it can gather oomph, before we
serve it with our roast pork this evening.

I wish one and all a lovely warm Sunday, with sumbeams on your shoulders:)

Ron