Re: [gardeners] Chives

Allen and Judy Merten (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 09:27:15 -0600

Hi Penny,
    We leave our onions in the garden all winter. Plant onion seeds in
October, bunching onions year round, bulbing onions from November to Jan.
If we plant bulbing onions in late spring they will bolt in the warm
weather before they reach maturity.
    I have bunching onions and 1015's to plant as soon as the cold virus
goes away. I want to try Candy onions this year. I read that they will
store longer than 1015's.
    Hope Jim gets to feeling better soon, and that you don't come down with
it too.
    I have done the same thing as Jim as far as eating while I have the
cold. I have started recovering quicker than Judy, and did not get as sick.
I mean Judy was really sick. This is her 5th day, my 3rd. I am feeling
better already. She hasn't eaten much the whole time she has been sick. I
have been doing the nurturing and nursing since Judy was the sickest.
    My great-grandmother believed "feed a cold, starve a fever".
    Hope you all have a Merry Christmas.
Allen
Bastrop Co., SE Central Tx.