Re: [gourds] Gourds collapsing/rotting while developing

hdqrs@worldnet.att.net (gourds@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 19 Jan 1998 02:13:29 -0600

At 06:26 AM 1/19/98 +0000, MOORE John wrote:

>We are in the middle of summer, and I thought my gourds were going well,
>until I noticed that all the gourds that appeared to have set recently
>(generally through my own manual efforts) are not developing beyond 2 or
>3 inches in diameter, when they just seem to give up.  They go soft,
>collapse and mostly start to rot, on otherwise healthy looking vines,
>and these are the same vines that have already got large healthy looking
>gourds on them that set one or two months ago, including a large bottle
>gourd the size of a basketball.

I think this is normal and I would just cut them off.  I have the same
thing happen late in the season, if I miss one I have not cut off including
the flowers.

I do the same thing with punkins, squash and zuchini except I pull them
(blooms) to eat (fry), O'h so good.

I do not eat the gourd blooms.

If this does not help just blame it on El Nino!

old jim