Re: [tomato] Tomato Cages

Lee Schumacher (lees@redbrick.com)
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 23:53:59 -0700

From: "Kyle Jones" <jonesk@planetc.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 22:37:08 -0400

What is the best size tomato cage for Indeterminate type tomatoes? I have
read different articles in garden magazines and on the www. One article
said to use 5 1/2 foot of concrete wire to form a circle 18 to 20 inches in
diameter, another article said the cage should be 24 inches in diameter.
Since this will be my first year using cages instead of stakes I don't want
to cut the wire too short or have the cage to large that the vine falls on
the ground. Any advice will be appreciated.

we use concrete wire (remesh they called it). It comes in 50ft rolls.
The squares are 6" each. We used 12 squares per cage, and bent
the ends around to lock them together. This gave us 8 cages per roll,
with a couple being a square bigger. We didn't have any trouble with
the cages being too small in diameter.

Its kind of a pain to assemble them (remesh is pretty substantial), so get
the right tools but they're very durable and should last for years.

Lee.