Re: [tomato] Sweet Sioux

Doreen Howard (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 19:53:24 -0600 (CST)

>At 08:32 AM 2/27/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>Does anyone have suggestions or seed for very sweet full sized tomatoes?
>>The sweetest I've grown have been Sweet 100 and Sungold, but they are
>>cherries.
>>
>>           Marlynn
>>
>Try some of the heirlooms.  Many seed companies are now carrying seeds for
>Brandywine.  Also great are Black Krim, Dinner Plate, Druzba, Black from
>Tula, etc.  Margaret

Brandywine is an acid tomato.  The Russian blacks to which Margaret refers
are wonderfully flavored.  Their complex acid-sweet balance is complemented
by various undernotes.  Black Krim has a salty note; Black from Tula is
almost smokey.  Dinner Plate is on the sweet side, but Druzba, again has an
acid-sweet balance.  All have rich, complex flavors, as do the ones I
recommended earlier--all of which are heirlooms, also.
Doreen Howard