Re: [tomato] "Blossom Set": can I make it?

Margaret Lauterbach (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Sat, 23 May 1998 12:51:31 -0600

At 11:40 PM 4/26/98 +0500, you wrote:
>I thought I'd ask about this before I go out and buy some.  :-)
>
>I saw something advertised in a gadening catalog called"Blossom Set";
>it is supposed to make your blossoms turn into fruit quicker.  I was
>wondering if this was merely a pollenator attractant, or if it
>actually pollenated the flower.  Also, does it actually work?  And if
>it does work, can I make it myself?
>
>Many thanks in advance; you guys (on both lists that I'm sending this
>to) have given me a *wealth* of information and excellent advice over
>the past few months that I'm ashamed to keep asking questions.....but
>I look forward to the day when I can help someone else like you all
>have helped me!
>
>Blessings,
>Kimberlee
>
>A garden is Nature's way of smiling at you.
>Kimberlee Simmons, a.k.a. "Blackwood"
>spooky@frontiernet.net   or   blackwood13@yahoo.com
>http://www.frontiernet.net/~spooky

When nights are chilly, tomato blossoms often fail to set fruit.  Blossom
set is a hormone, I think, that overcomes the cool temperature fruit
regulator, and sets fruit.  It does actually work, but you'd have to be a
very advanced chemist to make this yourself, IMO.  Margaret