Re: [tomato] An interesting question....at least for me...

Tom Eilers (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 15:02:41 -0800

I think you raised some great points.  I'm certainly no expert but I'd like to
add my 2¢ worth.  Few gardeners would agree that it is impossible to raise
tomatos in conditions other than those mentioned.  I believe that people have
determined parameters at which their tomatos will grow and produce the optimum
crop.  Natural selection is at work, developing fruit that will grow under the
most widespread and adverse conditions.  The resulting fruit may not be exactly
what we like, prehistorically tomatos were small, quite unlike what we grow
today, but remember, in nature a plant need only produce one fruit in order for
it to reproduce itself.  I think that it is a tribute to the tomato that it does
so well, despite our best efforts.  Good luck, Tom