Re: [chile-heads] chile oil

Elsa Altshool (efalt@totacc.com)
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 16:19:04 -0600

I make my chile oil in this way but I simmer the chile longer in the oil. I
usually cook at a simmer for about 15 minutes before letting the oil sit
until stained a brilliant red. The difference may be because the altitude
here--almost 4000 feet--means that most cooking takes longer. Anyway chile
oil is great for drizzling on cooked foods--scrambled eggs, for instance...
Some restaurants cook the chile until it is scorched. I like your way
better.
Best,
Elsa

----------
> From: Judy Howle <howle@ebicom.net>
> To: Chile-Heads@globalgarden.com
> Subject: [chile-heads] chile oil
> Date: Wednesday, July 09, 1997 11:51 AM
>
> This recipe is supposed to be from Hong Kong:
>

> HONG KONG
>

> 1 cup peanut oil
> 1/2 cup sesame oil
> 1 cup dried hot chiles, quartered
> 4 teaspoons ground cayenne pepper
>
> Heat peanut oil in a small saucepan. Add sesame oil
> and warm for a
> minute. Stir in chopped peppers and ground cayenne.
> Stir well and let
> stand for 1 hour. Strain and pour into a jar. Store
in