Re: [CH] Blossom drop

David Stanton (jstanton@southtech.net)
Sun, 04 Jan 1998 09:03:35 -0500

Mr. Flynn,

Most of the time, the best cure for blossom drop is patience. Often the first blossoms
just won't set. That said, there are a number of factors that influence it.

Fruit set can be diminished if the night temperatures are too high. Your reported
temperatures sound fine, so that's probably not it.

Insects can occasionally precipitate blossom drop. There is a tiny insect here in the
southeastern US called a thrip. Thrips are normally harmless to chile peppers, but
sometimes in the late spring they swarm, leaving the winter wheat stubble fields as they
are burned (a practice that is diminishing in favor of no-till planting of soybeans after
winter wheat). They can take up residence in the chile blossoms and cause them to drop by
sucking their precious bodily fluids. But they leave and all is well.

Perhaps the most common cause of blossom drop is over fertilization with nitrogen, the
first number in the N-P-K ratio on the label. If you have big, very green plants with no
fruits, this may be the problem. This usually also goes away, so long as you don't
continue to overload the plants with nitrogen -- what may be too much now will not be too
much as the plant gets bigger, as long as you don't add too much more.

You mention drought and wind. Drought stress can definitely discourage fruit set, so water
them if they need it. Here, in the summer, chiles wilt in the mid-day sun even when they
are well-watered. It's when they are wilted in the morning or late afternoon that watering
is needed.

My suggestion is to wait. I know, it's hard. But chiles are tough plants, and it actually
is very hard to keep them from setting fruit. Even with drought and high night
temperatures, they will eventually fruit if they aren't near death. If you think you've
given them too much nitrogen, don't give them any more until you see the lower leaves
begin to turn yellow.

And it's not necessarily a bad thing that they aren't setting fruit yet. In hopes of a
bigger crop, many of us actually pinch off the first blossoms to give the plant time to
put on more vegetative growth before fruiting.

Patience,
David Stanton