Re: [CH] Need Jalapeno Popper Help.

dwill (dwill@iafrica.com)
Mon, 05 Jan 1998 08:59:36 -0800

Dayton Skelly wrote:

> I'm trying to find out how to put that nice coating on the jalapenos
> like you get in the resturants.  The 2 ways I've tried have been putting
> them in milk than a cornmeal mixture.  Last night tried dipping them in
> egg than breadcrumbs than frying them in oil.  Coating just falls off.
> Anyone help me?

Hi there,
I had similar problems: those jalapenos are slippery customers. I had a
couple of hundred stuffed ready to freeze and the "trial" ones wouldn't
keep the coating. I eventually froze them (stuffed but uncoated) and made
 a beer batter, dipped the frozen poppers it (it congealed very
satifactorily), popped them back in the freezer before they even started
to thaw. A couple of hours later I took them out for a coating of egg and
crumbs and quickly put them back in the freezer. Now when I want them I
take a bunch out of the freezer and deep-fry them from frozen.
Works for me but it's a bit labour-intensive unless you're doing a
biggish batch.
Cheers
Dave Williams in CT