Re: Gimme an Idea or Whip Me Now (what?)...(WUZ: Re: [CH] Fresh, frozen, canned salsa

Charles Demas (demas@tiac.net)
Thu, 8 Jan 1998 11:40:24 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, David Stanton wrote:

> Sounds worth trying. One question -- could you recheck the heat levels
> for the part below?  It says to fry the onions over medium heat, then
> lower the heat to medium. What gives?
>
> Charles Demas wrote:
> >
> >     1. Heat the oil over medium heat. Add onions and stir constantly to
> >        prevent burning. Fry the onions until they turn caramel brown,
> >        about 12 minutes, stirring all the while to keep them from
> >        burning.
> >     2. Lower the heat to medium,

Well, the original author is dead, unfortunately, but I did consult
my brand new Joy of Cooking (which I got for Xmas :-) ) and I find that
if you want to caramelize the onions as fast as called for above, that
medium heat is too low.  Therefore, I'd suggest that you use medium high
to high heat in stage 1 and after the onions have caramelized that you
lower the heat and add the peppers, spices, etc.

You could caramelize the onions over medium heat, it will just take longer
(Joy said 25 minutes).  In either case, you've got to stir them to keep
them from burning.

BTW, the new Joy of Cooking has about 6-7 pages on chiles with
illustrations different types, but only 2-3 pages of recipes.

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas