[CH] Chile beers

Rich McCormack (macknet@cts.com)
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 09:17:02 -0800

>Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 14:07:39 EST
>From: Imildur <Imildur@aol.com>
>Subject: [CH] Whats the Best type of beer to put Chiles in

>I know we had a thread seveal months ago about Beer and Chiles but I
>have a
>friend who is just starting out in the home brewing endevor and he sent
>me
>the
>following:

[bulk of friend's quoted message snipped]

>>.... I need to determine if chiles work best in ales,
>>stouts,
>>or
>>lagers. Right now I'm thinking a red lager would be good with chile
>>undertones.
>>Let me know if you hear anything to that effect."

>************************************
>Now I know several of you guys and gals are homebrewers, and have more
>experience with this sort of thing.

>What should I tell my friend?

I don't brew lagers, but I do brew ales and an occasional stout.  I use
chipotles (dried, not canned in adobo sauce) for the smokey flavor they
give to the beer.  I smoke my own ripe red Fresno chiles, so my chiles
are generally a little larger than commercial chipotles or moritas.
One or two (depending on size) of my chipotle chiles (coarsly crushed)
per gallon added along with the flavoring hops during the initial boil
is enough to impart some flavor and heat.  More could be used, of
course, per individual discretion.

Rich McCormack (Poway, CA) macknet@cts.com

Who is Rich McCormack?  Find out at:
http://www.free.cts.com/crash/m/macknet/