Re: [CH] Educate me

John Benz Fentner, Jr. (jbenz@courant.infi.net)
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 15:24:23 -0500

Fieryfood wrote:

> Ran across a couple of things over the holidays I'm not familiar with, and
> decided to come to the experts!
>
> 1. A customer originally from the East Coast told me that the sub shops (ie
> grinders, hero sandwiches, etc) have something they just call "hots" for
> putting on the sandwiches. The clerk will ask "Do you want hots?" So what kind
> of sauce is "hots"? Is it a specific brand or some generic concoction made up
> by each restaurant? Or is it that (dare I say it?) Tabasco sauce? Any of you
> on the East Coast know what this is? Sounds like something we could enjoy on
> our sammiches here in Seattle!

I dunno about elsewhre but around here "Hots" are just red pepper flakes like they
put on the table in Italian Restaurants. My local Italian deli will do that or add
a fistful of pickled jalapenos or pepperoncini, any (or all, he smirked) of which
will do wonders for a pepperoni grinder.  :)

JB
--
John Benz Fentner, Jr.