Re: [CH] Hotsauce newbie seeks recommendations

lukasz (lukasz@midcoast.com.au)
Sat, 24 Jan 1998 19:51:36 +1100

J.B Cattley wrote:
> I haven't had any experience with hot sauces --  you can't get them
> here. Really! My local supermarket has only just introduced that
> pathetic Blazing Saddle sauce (in its 'American Import' aisle, along
> with Oreo cookies and Dr. Pepper) I generally tend to use chile in (or
> as) my food rather than on it, but anyway...

> Luke in Oz wrote ; Not so jbc,help is at hand .Gowings stores in Sydney stock some local and imported(datil)sauces,rubs etc, All these products come from Importers Fine Food International ,same co that imports your oreo cookies ...Loves pantry in Melbourne makes a good range ,(not hot enough though) Michael bailes has some sauces at the fragrant Garden In Erina nsw / Sriracha sauces can be sourced at most asian groceries -don't have one near ? ask your local thai restaraunt where they get theirs.

> My budget at the moment would stretch to about three bottles of
> hotsauce, ($A1 = ~$US0.65, then there's the shipping),

> I have 2 baseball mitts being repaired in the USA $150 US plus postage
4lbs/2kg cost me Aud $30 to send them over hope US mail is cheaper
.going to cost me Aud $280.00 to get them back here !
Could be worse though ,we could be Indonesian Ch's !

> 1:  Something really stupidly hot
> Daves Insanity -can't taste the garlic .,Matter of fact can't taste much after a good splash .label hard to read too.
> 2:  A good full-bodied all-purpose possibly multi-pepper sauce
>,Mild to wild smokin chipotle -Our own Jim campbells ,Smoked chile flavour
> Scorned woman -tabasco, habanero and black pepper ,comes in black bag
label sucks though ,  old one was better .,
> 3:  Something else fun and interesting that no-one should miss
> Ahhh there are so many !
> One restriction: The mildies in the family have hysterics if the word
> g*rl*c is even mentioned, so nothing that says it on overly large
> letters...
.> Ok so they eat chiles but don't like garlic ? (very strange)

> Also, are their shaker blends any good?
Alas can't help you here , only US shaker i have tasted is Spike and all
I use that for is a kitchen ornament .
					Luke in Oz
ps I'm in Coffs Harbour NSW , just a guess but are you in Qld ?