Re: [CH] sort of off topic- cats and plants

Dana H. Myers (myers@West.Sun.COM)
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 17:10:09 -0800 (PST)

Jonathan wrote:

> > The dilemma I'm having is: Would this be too cruel a method to employ in
> > controlling my cat's desire to munch on the plant? I wouldn't of course use
> > anything absolutely incendiary- I don't want Chou-Chou to go the way of the
> > mosquito in the Tabasco TV ad- but I've tried just about everything else and
> > the little bugger still gets in there.

Ed replied:

> I've done this and, though I dearly love my little furry friends, animals
> learn very well by having one (or two if they're as stupid as one of my
> kitties) very aversive response.  I threw some powdered habs in some
> water and a little alcohol, let it sit over night, and sprayed my little
> plants.  That night I heard some sneezing and cussing, and found one of my
> cats trying to get that TERRIBLE taste out of her mouth.

Hmmm.... I have a friend that tried feeding his cats tuna (which they
dearly love) that had been spiked with pickled habs.  The cats would
eat around the hab and then finally give up, without the satisfying
sneezing and cussing fit.  Apparently the strong dose of hab was so
pungent they knew to avoid it, but the weaker coating from the
spray was not strong enough to trigger that response.  I'll have to try,
err, I mean I'll have to tell my friend to try using a lighter spiking of
hab next time.

Dana