Re: [CH] My Naivete' / My Apologies

Charles Demas (demas@tiac.net)
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 11:43:09 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, John G. Zemek wrote:

> Yesterday evening I sent out a message to you, a group of people who are
> known as Chile-Heads.  I have never subscribed to such a list before and
> I didn't know how many people the list included.

IIRC there are 1700+ subscribers to this list.  Not good to anger that
many people at one time.  :-)

> I had written to the
> owner of the list and asked him/her if such a 'solicitation' would be
> appropriate, thinking that it might not.

Too bad you didn't go with that original thought, or since you were
receiving the list, you could have even asked any of the people posting
(by private email) and they would have told you it was a bad idea.

You could put an advertizement in a small signature (4 lines or less is
recommended) and post on topic information to the list.  I think that
this is generally considered acceptable.

> I didn't understand exactly
> what the method was to contact him/her because I didn't understand
> exactly how I had subscribed to the list.  I had actually tried several
> times and each time the message was returned to me with messages telling
> me that I hadn't done something right.
>
> Well, anyway, I guess I got on the list and after reading cats, cookbooks
> and telephone rates, I thought that my 'solicitation' wasn't all that out
> of place.  Still, I wasn't sure how to send a message to everyone on the
> list. Again, I tried several times and each time it came back.  Finally I
> sent it out, all the time wondering if it would actually reach anybody.
>
> I guess it did!

I can only imagine how many angry private responses you got.  :-)

I didn't send one, BTW.  I figured that it wouldn't do much good, after
all, you said you've been involved in several MLM things, and you are
still trying them.

> I guess it offended quite a few of you, for which I apologize.  It was
> only through reading the many messages referring to SPAM that I began to
> get the idea that this somehow referred to sending mass e-mail messages
> to people on a list whom you don't know, or something like that.
>
> I apologize.

I guess we can call off the retaliatory strike.  :-)

> As you can tell, I'm new to this type of thing.
>
> Again, I apologize.

Feel free to stick around and learn about chiles, which is what this list
is all about.  Since you're in NM, you might go to the Fiery Food Show
in Albuquerque.  I think it's sometime like now.

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas