Re: [CH] My Naivete' / My Apologies

Dana H. Myers (myers@West.Sun.COM)
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 10:04:52 -0800 (PST)

David wrote:

> I wonder how much of the same type of mail Calvin got when he offered free
> samples of his powder.  I have seen nothing but positive replies, but the
> offer was to get people to try the powder, and to buy it if they liked it.
> Not really much different than John's except Calvin offered us something for
> free.

Well, actually there's a huge difference.  Calvin apparently took the time
to understand the list, how it works, and offered something of interest.

On the other hand, John apparently just barely got subscribed before
pitching an MLM scheme.  I'm sure he didn't mean to offend anyone,
but he didn't take the time to understand his audience before trying
to sell - which left the distinct impression he's not really interested
in what our mailing list is about.  That's offensive.

> And learn to use the "delete" button if there is something yoiu don't want to
> read.

While I agree wholeheartedly with this general philosophy, don't overlook
there's a reason why we have a mailing list in the first place.  I'm
perfectly happy to skim and delete most messages without complaint, but
a pitch for an MLM by a newbie is too far.  Call it my contribution to
a community standard, remember you can always delete it if you don't want
to read it ;-)

ObChile: The other day I was craving something for lunch, and all I had
left in the fridge was an onion, a lime and handful of serranos.  So, I
diced the peppers and onion together in equal quantities, squeezed about
half of the lime into it, and added a pinch of salt (to meld the flavors).
In my own version of the 'cheese and onion' sandwiches I enjoyed in England,
I made a quesadilla then packed it with the simple salsa.  Sometimes the
simple things really hit the spot...

Oh, my kids had Spaghetti-Os for dinner last night, and I saw my daughter
(she's 8) go get the Walker's Wood Scotch Bonnet Sauce yet again and mix
some in.

Dana  K6JQ
Dana@Source.Net