Re: [CH] Gourmet Chili/Salsa Products/Program

Steve Ross (snross@mtu.edu)
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 14:43:01 -0500

At 11:48 AM 1/28/98 -0500, you wrote:
>To begin with, let me say that the posting was totally improper.  I
>think we have established that.  But, I am a little confused here.  I
>have been reading the list for about a year so I am not a newbie.  I
>generally have nothing to say because unlike the typical reader I live
>the chilehead life.  My husband and I have a small Mexican cafe,
>manufacture seven, soon to be eight, hot sauce related products,and
>write a column about peppers for a local publication.  So you see,
>anything I talk about would be considered "spam".
>But, I do have concerns about Calvin and his marketing technique.  Since
>he is now selling his product to the public via the list, how did he get
>his sales tax number, get his occupational license, rent an approved
>kitchen facility (you cannot under federal and state law manufacture and
>sell from your kitchen), get your agricultural license ( a need if you
>are canning), get your health dept inspection and okay, and find your
>suppliers that fast?

I think you are being way to anal about this little marketing deal with
Calvin's powder.  Would you have your kids go to the local city hall and
get a permit to sell lemonade on the front lawn?  We're talking about two
different things here.  Large scale operation vs. a hobby.  I'd be willing
to bet Calvin is more interested in having fellow CHers enjoy his product
rather than making money.