Days of deer and roses (was:[CH] sort of off topic- cats...)

dlaw@andros.com
Wed, 28 Jan 98 14:49:41

Kay said --
     Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 13:18:51 -0800
     From: kay buie <kaybuie@softcom.net>
     Subject: [CH] sort of off topic- cats and plants

     Let me just say this.  I am a cat lover, big time.  But they don't
     have the right to destroy my stuff.  So when they killed seedling
     trees by sharpening their claws on them I responded by mixing a
     generous amount of crushed red pepper with Tanglefoot (a gummy
     substance that you put on a tree trunk that keeps insects from
     climbing up to the canopy). Then I smeared the mixture all around the
     trunk at scratching height. Voila--end of problem.  Yes, it stung
     their mouths when they tried to lick it off and no, I didn't care.  In
     fact, I admit, I took a certain revengeful pleasure in it.  After all
     it doesn't really hurt the cats and it's a good negative
     reinforcement.

     Kay (leave my plants alone!!!) Buie

So how about other mammals?  The deer in my part of the world (No. Calif.)
are perpetually decimating my roses.  Anybody have any idea if this
treatment works on them as well?

Doug