Re: [CH] Who really is the hottest?

Porter Banister (porter9@concentric.net)
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:59:38 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Shad Donald Christian Munson Munson <capsicums@juno.com>
To: chile-heads@globalgarden.com <chile-heads@globalgarden.com>
Date: Wednesday, January 28, 1998 8:18 PM
Subject: [CH] Who really is the hottest?

Shad Donald Christian Munson Munson Wrote:

>Red Savina Habanero, deadly hot, the hottest right?

In a word: right! It was the summer of 1995 when I had my first experience
with a Red Savina. A store that I frequent here in Louisville which sells
gardening supplies with an emphasis on chiles and indoor growing (and stocks
a fine array of hot sauces) had some Savinas that they grew, and the
proprietor gave me one knowing that I like hot stuff. I took it home
planning on throwing it in my Chipotle Con Queso later that night. This
recipe calls for 2 chopped habs in addition to a can of chipotles en adobo.
I had heard about the legendary 577,000 scoville Red Savina, and reasoned
that this one should easily take the place of the 2 orange habs that I
usually use. Turns out I should have used only half the pepper, or at least
seeded it before throwing it in (usually anathema to me). I had made the Con
Queso because some neighbors (who informed me they love hot food) were
coming over for dinner, and I thought it would make a tasty appetizer with
margaritas before we sat down to dinner. It was way too hot for them or my
girlfriend to eat. I myself loved it, in fact have made it this way
purposely several times since. About a half hour after chopping the Savina
finely with a sharp paring knife, my hands began to tingle in a not
altogether unpleasant way. It was to last another 24 hours. I barely made
contact with the innards of the pepper. Still, whatever contact I did make,
managed to leave capsaicin residue on my fingertips in a big way. What is
noteable about this is I washed my hands in soap and hot water immediately
after chopping the chile. What is remarkable is usually I don't experience
any tingling or pain whatsoever when chopping lots of habs by hand. This
isn't to say I haven't had hunan eye lots of times - I have, but my fingers
have always been spared. Not so with the Savina, and just one rather small
one too. It was the size of a typical Scotch Bonnet.
So, I do wish in light of my first experience to emphasize that the Red
Savina is by far the hottest pepper I have ever come accross, no other chile
comes close.

Some of you Chipotle Con Queso fans on the list might like to have my
recipe, so here it is:

Ingredients

1 stick unsalted butter
4 tablespoons canola oil
5 tablespoons flour
1 huge onion or 2 mediums, chopped
1 whole head roasted garlic chopped
3 cloves fresh garlic crushed
1 can chipotles en adobo puréed
2 fresh or pickled habaneros chopped
1 cup half and half
2 cups whole milk
2 lbs sharp cheddar cheese
1 lb montery jack
1 bunch scallions chopped

Method

In a large pan melt the butter and add the oil over medium heat
Add the chopped onion, and sautee until  golden
Add the crushed garlic and continue sauteeing until onions have nicely
browned
Add the flour and combine with butter oil onions and garlic until a  nice
roux develops
Cook this onion roux for 2 minutes taking care for it not to get too brown
(a little is good)
Add  the half and half slowly, incorporating it into the onion roux little
by little
Reduce heat to medium low and add the milk. If you heat the milk first in
the microwave this reduces cooking time and can prevent burning
Cook mixture until milk and half and half bubbles, stirring often
Lower heat to a simmer and add chopped habaneros and the puréed chipotles,
sauce and all
Cook on simmer for 5 minutes to bring out the flavor of the chiles stirring
occasionally
Add the finely chopped roasted garlic cloves
Little by little incorporate all of the cheese stirring constantly
When everything is melted and nicely incorporated transfer to fondue pot or
chafing dish and keep heat on very low. Garnish with the chopped scallions
and serve with good quality chips.

Enjoy

Porter