RE: [CH] Is using fresh peppers to flavor oil unwise?

Charles Demas (demas@tiac.net)
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 11:26:47 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 29 Jan 1998, Anton Schoenbacher wrote:

> Regarding the making your own chili oil posts, I have a
> question about how you store it after you make it.  If you
> are just storing it at room temp. for a while isn't it
> possible for some funky stuff to start growing in it ?

Actually, since you remove the chiles and cook it at sufficiently high
temperature, two things happen, first the bacteria get killed, and
second, the moisture necessary for bacterial growth gets driven out.

Now, the oil can still spoil (going rancid for example) and light can
affect it too.  Therefore, the best storage is in a cool dark place.
Chemical and other reactions are slowed by low temperatures, so storing
your oil in the refrigerator or freezer will keep it useful for a longer
time.

I'd suggest reading the rec.food.preserving faq for more detailed
information about this topic and I believe it also addresses the
temperatures required to kill botulism spores.

rec.food.preserving FAQ
http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/cc/staff/pool/rec.food.preserving-faq.txt

Rec.Food.Preserving FAQ
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Acres/1962/rff1.html

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas