Re: [CH] Request for Catfish Rec.

Christopher E. Eaves (cea260@airmail.net)
Mon, 02 Feb 1998 14:37:46 -0600

Ben Holm wrote:

>         Does anyone out there have any good, hot catfish recipes.
> I like catfish a lot, and it is on sale this week at my grocery store
> (Wegmans for those of you in western NY), but I don't have any
> recipes for it.

Heres 4, more to come.

Chris

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                        Catfish Baked With Cheese

Recipe By     :
Categories    :
   6                    Catfish Fillets (about 2 lb)
     1/4  cup           Flour
                        Black pepper to taste
   1                    Egg -- lightly beaten
   8      tablespoons   Butter -- melted
     1/2  cup           Fresh grated Parmesan
                        Cheese
                        Salt to taste
   1      teaspoon      Paprika
   1      tablespoon    Milk

1/4 c Sliced almonds 1. Preheat oven to 350 deg. 2. Wipe the catfish dry
3. Blend together the cheese, flour, salt, pepper, and paprika 4.
Combine the egg and milk in a flat dish 5. Dip the fillets in the egg
mixture, and then coat with the cheese mixture. Arrange the fillets in
one layer in a baking dish, and pour the butter over all. Sprinkle with
the almonds. 6. Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes

>From Craig Claiborne's "Southern Cooking"

Posted to MM-Recipes Digest V4 #13000

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                Cajun Catfish With Spicy Strawberry Sauce

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Cajun                            Sauces

   2      pounds        catfish fillets
   1                    salt
   1                    black pepper
   2      ounces        hot pepper sauce
   1 1/2  cups          strawberry preserves
     1/2  cup           red wine vinegar
   1      tablespoon    soy sauce
     1/4  cup           seafood cocktail sauce
   1      clove         garlic -- minced
   2      teaspoons     horseradish
     3/4  cup           cornmeal
     3/4  cup           flour
     1/2  cup           safflour oil
   1                    fresh strawberries
   1                    parsley sprigs -- optional

* Strawberry Flavored Vinegar may be used instead of Red Wine Vinegar.
Place fillets in large shallow dish. Season fish with salt, black pepper
and hot pepper sauce; cover and refrigerate 1 hour. In small saucepan,
combine preserves, vinegar, soy sauce, cocktail sauce, garlic and
horseradish; simmer sauce over low heat stirring occasionally, while
preparing catfish. Blend cornmeal and flour in shallow bowl. Drain
catfish and dredge in cornmeal mixture, coating on all sides. Heat oil
in heavy skillet over medium-high heat; when hot, add catfish and saute'
until browned on both sides. Drain well on paper towels; keep warm.
Spoon 1/4 cup sauce on each plate; top with catfish fillets. Garnish
with sliced strawberries and parsley, if desired. Source: Quick &
Delicious Cajun Cooking

Posted to MM-Recipes Digest V4 #13000

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                              Cajun Catfish

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Cajun

   4                    catfish fillets (4 oz. each
   1      ounce         wheat flakes cereal
   1      tablespoon    paprika
     1/4  teaspoon      salt
     1/4  teaspoon      onion powder
     1/4  teaspoon      garlic powder
     1/2  teaspoon      cayenne pepper
     1/2  teaspoon      black pepper
     1/2  teaspoon      white pepper
     1/2  teaspoon      thyme
   1      tablespoon    oil

1. Wash the fish fillets and pat dry. 2. In a bowl mix the ground wheat
flakes and all the seasonings. Pour the dry mixture onto a piece of foil
or wax paper, and dip the fillets into the seasoning, coating both
sides. 3. In a heavy cast iron fry pan heat the oil. Fry the fillets for
2 minutes on each side. Lay the fillets on a plate lined with a paper
towel, cover with another paper towel, and pat to remove excess oil.

Posted to MM-Recipes Digest V4 #13000

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

               Baked Catfish Fillets With Horseradish Sauce

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Sauces

   1 1/2  pounds        catfish fillets
   2                    egg whites
   1      tablespoon    grated onion
     1/4  teaspoon      dry mustard
   2      tablespoons   butter or margarine
   1      cup           milk
   1      tablespoon    lemon juice
   2      tablespoons   sour cream
   1      clove         garlic
     1/4  teaspoon      white pepper
   2      tablespoons   flour
   4      teaspoons     prepared horseradish

Arrange fish on baking pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle
with lemon juice. In small bowl beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
Fold in sour cream, onion, garlic, mustard and 1/8 teaspoon white
pepper. Spoon some of mixture on top of each fillet. Bake at 375F for 20
minutes or until fish is opaque or skewer glides easily through flesh.
Meanwhile in small saucepan melt butter. Blend in flour until smooth.
Stir in milk, hourseradish and remaining 1/8 teaspoon white pepper. Cook
and stir over medium heat until mixture is bubbly and slightly
thickened. Serve over fish.