Re: [CH] Request for Catfish Rec.

Christopher E. Eaves (cea260@airmail.net)
Mon, 02 Feb 1998 14:37:52 -0600

Ben Holm wrote:

>         Does anyone out there have any good, hot catfish recipes.
> I like catfish a lot, and it is on sale this week at my grocery store
> (Wegmans for those of you in western NY), but I don't have any
> recipes for it.

4 more

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                            Shanghai Fish Soup

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Soups                            Seafood

   4                    Dry Shiitake mushrooms
     1/2                To 3/4 Lb. Catfish fillets
   1       tb           Salad oil
   1       tb           Julienned peeled fresh
                        -ginger
   2       tb           Red-in-snow (optional)
   4       c            Low-salt chicken broth
   8       oz           Firm tofu, drained and cut
                        -into 1/2 inch cubes
   2       tb           Soy sauce
   1       tb           Dry sherry
   1       t            Sugar
   1       lg           Green onion, cut diagonally
                        -into 1 inch pieces
     1/2   ts           Sesame oil

  Soak mushrooms in warm water until caps are tender, 15 to 30 minutes.
Drain
  and squeeze gently to remove some of the water. Cut off and discard
stems;
  thinly slice caps. Set aside.

  Rinse fish and pat dry. Cut fillets into 1-by 1 1/2 inch pieces; set
aside.

  Place a wok or 3 to 4 quart saucepan over high heat. When hot, add oil
and
  swirl to coat cooking surface. Add ginger and stir until fragrant,
about 30
  seconds. Add mushrooms, fish and red-in-snow; stir until fish turns
opaque
  on outside, about 1 minute. Stir in broth, tofu, soy sauce, sherry and
  sugar; bring soup to a boil, stirring occasionally. Pour into a tureen
and
  sprinkle with green onions and sesame oil. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

  Per serving: 201 Calories, 20 g Protein, 7 g Carbohydrates, 2 g
Saturated
  Fat,  3 g Monounsaturated Fat, 4 g Polyunsaturated Fat, .2 Omega-3
Fat, 33
  mg Cholesterol, 970 mg Sodium.

  Note: Fish, Cod, Rockfish, Snapper, Orange Roughy, can be substituted
for
  catfish.

  SOURCE: *Simply Seafood, Spring  1992 SHARED BY: Jim Bodle 3/93

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

           Louisiana Style Barbequed Catfish in a Tomato Sauce

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Seafood                          Barbeque

   1       c            Onion -- finely chopped
   1       c            Parsley
   2       tb           Olive oil -- or peanut oil
   1       tb           Garlic -- finely chopped
   4       c            Fresh tomatoes -- peeled and c
                        Red pepper -- to taste
                        Salt -- to taste
   2       c            Burgundy wine
   1       tb           Soy sauce
   4                    5-8 oz. catfish fillets -- * s

  * lightly seasoned with salt and pepper.

  Place onions and parsley in oil and saute 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and
then
  the rest of the ingredients except catfish fillets. Cook until the
onions
  are translucent, about 10 minutes. On medium-hot grill place fillets,
skin
  side up, for 3 minutes.  Turn and cook 2 minutes more. Place in
aluminum
  foil "boat" or grill-safe pan on grill and top with sauce. Close top
on
  grill and cook 10 minutes.

  Yield:  4 servings.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

             Jungle Curry with Catfish - Gaeng Paa Pla Dook *

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Seafood

                        -----CURRY PASTE-----
   2       tb           Chopped Lemon Grass
   8                    Shallots
   6                    Cloves Garlic
     1/4   c            Chopped Lesser Ginger
   8                    Dried Jalapeno Peppers
   1       t            Canned Peppercorns
   1       t            Shrimp Paste
     1/2   ts           Salt
                        -----PREPARATION-----
   2       tb           Oil
   1 1/2   lb           Catfish, Cut Into 1" Slices
     1/4   c            Fish Sauce (Nam Pla)
   3       c            Water
     1/2   c            Thai Eggplant
     1/4   c            Sliced Green Jalapeno Pepper
     1/2   c            Sweet Basil Leaves
  10                    Whole Kaffir Lime Leaves

  In the days when travel through various parts of Thailand required
  journeying through areas of jungle, the people had to make do with
what was
  available there.  This recipe is so named because the ingredients and
  cooking method made it a suitable dish for the jungle. Best eaten in
the
  presence of monkeys, tigers and snakes to keep it more authentic.
  ~---------------------------------------------------------------------
~--
  Combine all the ingredients for the curry paste, using a mortar and
pestle
  or a blender.

  Heat a large saucepan and add the oil and curry paste.  Stir-fry for 1
  minute on medium-high heat.

  Add the fish,  fish sauce, water and eggplant and heat to boiling.
Cook,
  stirring, for 3 minutes.  Add the remaining ingredients and remove
from the
  heat.  Serve.

  From: Thailand The Beautiful Cookbook.  Typed by Syd Bigger.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                              Catfish Creole

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Seafood

   1       lb           Catfish fillets
     1/3   c            Oil
     1/4   c            Flour
     1/2   c            Water
   1       c            Celery, sliced
     1/2   c            Shallots, chopped
     1/2   c            Bell pepper, chopped
   2       ea           Garlic clove, crushed
   1       lb           Tomatoes, cut small, can
   8       oz           Tomato sauce
   1 1/2   ts           Salt
   2       ea           Bay leaves
     1/2   ts           Thyme
     1/4   ts           Pepper
   1       tb           Brown sugar, lemon juice
   1       tb           Lemon juice
     1/4   c            Parsley, chopped
   1       t            Worcestershire sauce
   2       ea           Tabasco, dashes
   1       x            Rice, hot, cooked

  Cut fillets into 1-in pieces. Heat oil in large pan. Add flour,
stirring
  until brown. Remove from heat and add water slowly, stirring til
blended.
  Add all ingredients except catfish and rice. Cover and simmer for 20
  minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaves, add catfish
and
  simmer 8 - 10 min. more until fish flakes to the fork. Serve over rice
in
  soup bowls. Possibly better to wilt all fresh vegetables before adding
  pan. Also for: Catfish, Any Fish Recipe date: 12/11/87