Re: [CH] Request for Catfish Rec.

Christopher E. Eaves (cea260@airmail.net)
Mon, 02 Feb 1998 14:37:59 -0600

Ben Holm wrote:

>         Does anyone out there have any good, hot catfish recipes.
> I like catfish a lot, and it is on sale this week at my grocery store
> (Wegmans for those of you in western NY), but I don't have any
> recipes for it.

& 4 more One by Colonel Ian F. Khuntilanont-Philpott

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                           Cajun Catfish Gumbo

Recipe By     :
Serving Size  : 10   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Seafood

   2       c            Chopped onions
   2       c            Green onions -- chopped *
   1       c            Chopped celery
     1/2   c            Bell pepper -- chopped
   6                    Cl Garlic -- chopped
   6                    7-oz catfish fillets -- cut in
   3                    7-oz catfish fillets -- for st
   1       lb           Crab meat -- (claw)
   1       lb           Shrimp -- (peeled)
   1 1/2   c            Oil
   1 1/2   c            Flour
   4       qt           Hot water
                        Salt -- to taste
                        Cayenne pepper -- to taste

  * separate and reserve greens.

  In separate pot, simmer 3 (7 oz.) catfish fillets in 1 quart of
lightly
  salted water for 15 minutes.  Strain through cheese cloth and reserve
  liquid.  Chop catfish and reserve meat.  In heavy bottom gumbo pot,
add oil
  and flour.  Cook over medium high heat stirring constantly until
golden
  brown.  Caution, do not scorch!

  Add all seasonings except green onions tops.  Saute for 5 minutes. Add
all
  fish stock and chopped catfish.  Add hot water, one ladle at a time,
until
  consistency of thick soup is achieved.  Add claw crab meat, and half
of
  shrimp.  Reduce to simmer.  Cook approximately 45 minutes, stirring
  occasionally.  Add catfish, remaining shrimp and green onions tops.
Cook
  10-15 minutes. Season to taste using salt and cayenne pepper. Add
water if
  necessary to retain volume.  Serve over white rice.

  Serves 10.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                       Cajun Catfish Courtbouillon

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Seafood

   2       md           Onions -- chopped
   3                    Celery -- chopped
   1       lg           Fresh parsley -- wash/drain/ch
   1       lg           Green pepper -- chopped
   2                    Cl Garlic -- minced
   5       lb           Catfish fillets
                        Salt and pepper -- to taste
                        Red pepper -- to taste
   3       tb           Vegetable oil
   2       tb           All-purpose flour -- divided
   1 1/2   c            Tomato sauce -- divided
     1/4   c            Water
   2                    Lemon slices
   1       lg           Bay leaf
     1/4   ts           Thyme leaves

  Combine vegetables; divide in half, and set aside.

  Cut catfish into large pieces; generously sprinkle each piece with
salt,
  pepper, and crushed red pepper.  Set aside.

  Put oil in a large cast iron pot; top with half of fish pieces. Place
have
  of vegetable mixtures over fish; top with 1 tablespoon flour, then 3/4
cup
  tomato sauce.  Repeat layers with remaining fish pieces, vegetables,
flour
  and tomato sauce.  Add remaining ingredients.

  Cover and cook over low heat for one hour or until fish flakes easily
when
  tested with a fork.  Shake pot frequently to keep fish from sticking
to the
  bottom (stirring will break up the fish). Add additional seasonings
before
  serving, if desired.

  Yield:  6 servings.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                      Baked Fillet of Catfish Creole

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Seafood

   4                    5-8 oz. catfish fillets
                        -----creole sauce-----
   2       tb           Butter
   1       c            Chopped onions
     3/4   c            Chopped celery
     1/2   c            Bell pepper -- chopped
   4                    Cl Garlic -- chopped
   2       cn           Tomato sauce -- (8 oz. each)
   2                    Bay leaves -- (whole)
   1       t            Chili powder
                        Salt -- to taste
                        Cayenne pepper -- to taste
     1/2   ts           Sugar
     1/4   ts           Thyme
     1/4   ts           Dill
     1/4   ts           Sweet basil
   1       c            Water
                        Salt
                        Cayenne pepper

  Place catfish fillets in baking pan with 1-inch lip.

  Cover with Creole sauce.  Bake at 350 F. for 15-20 minutes.

  In a heavy pot, saute seasonings in butter until done (10 minutes).
Add
  tomato sauce and water, bring to a rapid boil, and reduce to simmer.
Stir
  occasionally and cook approximately one hour. Add water to retain
volume.
  Season with salt and cayenne pepper to taste.

  Yields 4 servings.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                   Tom Yam Pla Krop (Crispy Fish Soup)

Recipe By     : Colonel I. F. K. Philpott
<colonel@korat1.vu-korat.ac.th>
Categories    : Thai                             Soups

   1                    catfish -- about 1/2 lb pieces
   6      thin slices   kha (galangal)
   6      thin slices   khing (ginger)
   4                    hom daeng (shallots - purple onions)
   8                    prik chi fa haeng (dried red Thai jalapeno
   4                    kratiem (cloves of garlic - with skins)
   3      stalks        takrai (lemon grass or citronella) -- cut in 2"
pieces
     1/2  cup           nam pla (fish sauce)
     1/2  cup           nam som makham (tamarind juice)

This isn't a crispy soup, it's a soup made with crispy fish.

Specifically pla krop (pronounced  'plah grob' with the 'o' in krop
being something between a short o sound an a 'au' sound (a bit like
saying 'crab' when you have a very nasal cold)) is deep fried catfish.

The catfish is fried whole in very hot oil (smoking peanut oil), so the
usual cautions and caveats apply. Also for the proper flavor it should
be fried with the head on - in Thailand it is fried before it is cleaned
and trimmed for the second stage of cooking. You may of course clean and
fillet the fish first.

The very hot oil ensures that only the outside of the fish is
crunchy-crisp, and the inside is not reduced to concrete hardness!

If you prefer this dish can be made with salmon, trout, or sea bass.

Deep fry the catfish whole in very hot oil until the skin is very crisp.

Remove and drain.
When cool enough to handle, remove the head and the tail (don't waste it
- it can be added to your fish stock pot, or fed to the cat), then break
the rest into large bite sized pieces, discarding the major bones.

On a grill or barbeque, grill the galangal, ginger, shallots,
jalapenas, garlic and lemon grass until slightly charred.

Discard the skins, and chop, then pound to a paste in a mortar and
pestle or a food processor.

Bring about 3 cups of water to a rolling boil, and add the ingredients,
after one minute lower the heat to a simmer, cover and simmer for about
20 minutes.

Taste and adjust the seasoning.

--
Regards

Colonel Ian F. Khuntilanont-Philpott

Systems Engineering, Vongchavalitkul University,
Korat 30000, Thailand

Chile-Heads List

NOTES : Mastercook formatted by Garry Howard, Cambridge, MA
 garhow@hpubmaa.esr.hp.com or garhow@aol.com