Re: [CH] Recipe help?

Leslie Duncan (duncan@vianet.on.ca)
Tue, 03 Feb 1998 00:29:23 -0500

At 01:17 PM 2/2/98 -0600, Jonathan T. Smillie wrote:
>1. Does anyone have a recipe they'd recommend for a salad with chile
>content (either in the salad itself or in the dressing)?
>Jonathan

Jonathan:

I like this dressing, it's from Chris Schlesinger's book Lettuce In Your
Kitchen. Good mixed with more mayonaisse to make potato salad but
also good on mixed greens and vegetables.

        Creamy Chipotle Vinaigrette

1 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice(from 2 large oranges)
1 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons minced chipotle pepper
1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
1 tables. ground cumin
3 tablesp. fresh lime juice(about 1 1/2 limes)
salt & freshly ground pepper to taste

In a small saucepan combine the orange juice & vinegar. Bring to a boil over
high heat; then, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer vigorously until
the liquid is reduced by 2/3, about 25 minutes.

Remove the liquid from the heat, and allow to cool to room temperature. Add
the mayonnaise and whisk together until well blended. Add the chipotle,
cilantro, cumin and lime juice; whisk together well. Season with salt and
pepper.

Yield: about 1 2/3 cups.

As a salad dressing: Toss with a Mexican-flavored salad made with romaine
lettuce, sliced avocado, tomato, red onion & cornbread croutons.

As a cold sauce: Drizzle over grilled chicken or fish, spoon over baked
sweet potatoes, or paint on bbq ribs.

-Leslie.