Re: [CH] Habaneros in Melbourne (Australia), update on the chile patch

Herman H. Fredriksson (herm@newt.phys.unsw.edu.au)
Sat, 7 Feb 1998 22:46:24 +1100 (EST)

In a previous letter Mark Dodgson wrote:

> - the chinense collection is just starting to produce pods (after a very late
> start): habanero (one seedling bought from the local nursery, the rest grown
> from seed), red fatalii, yellow fatalii, orange fatalii, red habanero, red
> savina habanero, bishop's crown (bought seedling via mail order through Honey
> Suckle Cottage in NSW for those interested)

Hi Mark,
	I bought a Bishops Crown plant from the Honey Suckle Cottage
before Christmas and it now has unripe fruit. I am 100% certain however
it isn't Chinense.

Its Capsicum Baccatum. Much like Capsicum Baccatum cv. 'Peri Peri'
on page 44 of Dave DeWitt & Paul W Bosland's "Peppers of the World".
The white flowers having dark green/brown spots and yellowish anthers
and the tall erect habit were the giveaways. It also has very large
leaves which are smooth unlike the crinkliness of most chinense..

Its a wonderful plant nonetheless... with interesting fruit!

Regards,
	Herman
ps: enjoy your habanero salsa!
--