RE: [CH] refrigeration

Rosana M. F. Cardoso (rmfc@mail.utexas.edu)
Sat, 7 Feb 1998 12:20:31 -0800

Michael Schapansky wrote:

>I had a bad experience with moths once in a long forgotten can of nuts.
> Nut something I'd care to repeat.
>I do keep some spices in the freezer, some of the more expensive ones,
>cardamom some teas, coffee etc.  If I had to transfer my spice cabinet to
>the fridge, I'd be out shopping for a bigger model.

Well, kids... The ONLY problem there is when you keep spices, tea or even
coffee in the fridge is a BIG one, at least for me... The moisture
collected on your spices and other dry goodies, even if vacuum packed,
KILLS the flavor. I found that out the hard way, when I brought a couple of
kilos of Brazilian coffee from home (yes, Brazil is home) and couldn't bear
the taste after a few weeks of refrigeration.  Freezing nuts is good
practice, though, no loss of flavor there. Live and learn...
Cheers!

                Rosana