Re: [CH] Can anyone ID these chiles?

Michael Bailes (frgntgar@ozemail.com.au)
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 17:35:51 +1100

At 10:19 AM +1100 9-2-98, Herman H. Fredriksson wrote:
>In a previous letter Michael Bailes wrote:
>
>> Is this what you are talking about?
>> Bi-Bell  H
>> Joker's Hat / Rocotillo
>> 	Heat 1 and 7	Baccatum	Pod colour lime - russet to
>> orange/red	 Extraordinary chilli. Cold  resistant.  Continuous heavy
>> bearer.  Tall growing bush - up to 2m tall x 1m wide   The outer flesh of
>> the pod has no heat, however  the pod  is full of very hot placenta. Nice
>> sweet capsicum flavour.  It is a self seeding perennial in our garden
>> growing almost 2m.  Very attractive garden plant. Unusual bell/ joker's hat
>> shaped pod.
>> We have grown it for many years and it is a favourite.
>>
>Hi Michael,
>
>	In a word, yes.
>
>	I was going to mention that I saw a very very large example
>of this plant at the Frangrant Garden on a Better Homes and Gardens
>show last year :-). Spectacular plant if I remember correctly :-)
>
>I do think that Rocotillo is a misnomer in this case. Rocotillo refers to
>a Chinense that has a similar shape(?), whereas this one is definitely
>Capsicum Baccatum.
Dont know where that name came from.(What does it mean?)
Perhaps it a came with the original seeds.  We tend to keep all names from
all languages until we can combine them when we discover theey are the same!
 By the way I have never heard of Bishops Cap is this one of Judith's
flights of fancy?
You are not thinking of this: are you?
Rocoto H	6-7	P	red	Very hot, with unique juicy
flavour; square 2-5cm (1"-2 ") fruits; unique blue flowers and black seeds;
very cold tolerant. to a few degrees below freezing. Pod shaped like a
small bell.  From the high altitudes of the Andes. 90 days to fruit
Are you comming to the Chilli Festival? .

Michael Bailes,  The Fragrant Garden, Portsmouth Road, Erina. N.S.W. 2250
Australia. (OZ) Int fax 61 243 651979  Phone 61 243 677322
 EMAIL: frgntgar@ozemail.com.au  Web page at:
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~frgntgar/
1998 Chilli Festival 8/9 March.
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~frgntgar/chili/festival1998.html