Re: [CH] Can anyone ID these chiles?

Herman H. Fredriksson (herm@newt.phys.unsw.edu.au)
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 10:19:25 +1100 (EST)

In a previous letter Michael Bailes wrote:

> Is this what you are talking about?
> Bi-Bell  H
> Joker's Hat / Rocotillo
> 	Heat 1 and 7	Baccatum	Pod colour lime - russet to
> orange/red	 Extraordinary chilli. Cold  resistant.  Continuous heavy
> bearer.  Tall growing bush - up to 2m tall x 1m wide   The outer flesh of
> the pod has no heat, however  the pod  is full of very hot placenta. Nice
> sweet capsicum flavour.  It is a self seeding perennial in our garden
> growing almost 2m.  Very attractive garden plant. Unusual bell/ joker's hat
> shaped pod.
> We have grown it for many years and it is a favourite.

Hi Michael,

	In a word, yes.

	I was going to mention that I saw a very very large example
of this plant at the Frangrant Garden on a Better Homes and Gardens
show last year :-). Spectacular plant if I remember correctly :-)

I do think that Rocotillo is a misnomer in this case. Rocotillo refers to
a Chinense that has a similar shape(?), whereas this one is definitely
Capsicum Baccatum.

Warm Wishes,
	Herman
--