Re: [CH] Fwd News Article: Pepper Spray May Attract Bears

The Old Bear (oldbear@arctos.com)
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 13:18:13 -0500

In ChileHeads Digest, Vol.4 No.314, peg e wrote:

| Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 22:36:41 EST
| From: PegVA@aol.com
| Subject: [CH] Fwd News Article: Pepper Spray May Attract Bears
|
| Hey, Should we invite the bears to join the Chileheads?
| peg e
|
| > From: AOLNews@aol.com
| > Subject: Pepper Spray May Attract Bears
| > Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 05:17:45 EST
| >
| > Pepper Spray May Attract Bears
| >
| > ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) - It's not what backpackers and hikers
| > want to hear -- the pepper spray they count on to scare off
| > bears may actually attract the big beasts, like catnip does
| > cats. . .

Speaking on behalf of we bears, getting pepper spray in the face
is not one of our all time favorite ursine experiences.

However, a little chile spray behind the ears, especially before a
big date, has been know to elicit a definite postive response
from the lady bears.

Based upon the AP story, it looks like we bears need to start
explaining to people that they should read the label on the cans.
The National Park Service notes:

  Defensive aerosol sprays which contain capsicum (red pepper extract)
  have been used with some success for protection against bears.  These
  sprays may be effective at a range of 6-8 yards but if discharged
  upwind or in a vehicle, they can disable the user.  Take appropriate
  precautions.  If you do carry a spray can, know how to use it.

  Firearms should never be used as an alternative to common-sense
  approaches to bear encounters.  If you are inexperienced with a
  firearm in emergency situations, you are more likely to be injured
  by a gun than a bear.  It is illegal to carry firearms in some of
  Alaska's national parks, so check before you go.

My personal advice to campers is to follow the suggestions of the
National Park Service:

  If you see a bear, avoid it if you can.  Give the bear every
  opportunity to avoid you.  If you do encounter a bear at close
  distance, remain calm.  Attacks are rare.  Chances are, you are
  not in danger.  Most bears are interested only in protecting
  food, cubs or their "personal space."  Once the threat is
  removed, they will move on.  Remember the following:

  + Identify Yourself - Let the bear know you are human.  Talk to
  the bear in a normal voice.  Wave your arms.  Help the bear
  recognize you.  If a bear cannot tell what you are, it may come
  closer or stand on its hind legs to get a better look or smell.
  A standing bear is usually curious, not threatening.  You may
  try to back away slowly diagonally, but if the bear follows,
  stop and hold your ground.

  + Don't Run - You can't outrun a bear.  They have been clocked at
  speeds up to 35 mph, and like dogs, they will chase fleeing
  animals.  Bears often make bluff charges, sometimes to within
  10 feet of their adversary, without making contact.  Continue
  waving your arms and talking to the bear.  If the bear gets
  too close, raise your voice and be more aggressive.  Bang pots
  and pans.  Use noisemakers.  Never imitate bear sounds or make
  a high-pitched squeal.

  + Surrender - If a brown bear actually touches you, fall to the
  ground and play dead.  Lie flat on your stomach, or curl up in
  a ball with your hands behind your neck.  Typically a brown
  bear will break off its attack once it feels the threat has
  been eliminated.  Remain motionless for as long as possible.
  If you move, a brown bear may return and renew its attack and
  you must again play dead.  But if you actually are attacked by a
  black bear, you should fight back vigorously.

For more information on bears in general, and on Alaska bears in
particular, see:

Meanwhile, remember to protect your right to arm bears!  And we bears
will join you in defending all our rights to eat chiles.

Cheers,
The Old Bear
http://www.arctos.com/arctos/arctos.html

   You are invitied visit The Old Bear's "Secret Tequila Cave" on the
   world wide web at URL: <http://www.arctos.com/arctos/tequila.html>