Re: [CH] Chili Storage

Jonathan T. Smillie (jsmillie@protix.com)
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 11:34:08 -0600

At 09:58 AM 2/16/98 -0600, Matt Kraft wrote:
>Question???
>
>How long can fresh chiles be stored in the fridge??? (esp. Habs Serranos and
>Jalapenos)

and in which part of the fridge; I get best results keeping them in either
the crisper
or the meat tray. It depends heavily on the condition of the chiles when
bought- if
perfectly fresh, i.e. ripe, firm, no wrinkles yet- they could last longer.
Likewise,
more aged specimens will go off faster.

Again, based only on personal experience, I find that thicker-fleshed chiles,
e.g. jalapenos, take longer to show evidence of wear than thinner-fleshed
varieties such as habaneros. So far, though, I have not detected any
appreciable
change in heat between a fresher and a more aged chile of the same type.

Jonathan

*  "What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were *
*  like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of     *
*  methane and ammonia must be silent?                                *
*  - Richard P. Feynman (1918- 1988)                                         *