[CH] Re: masa uses

Eeyore (efalt@zianet.com)
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 21:43:34 -0600

Ellen wrote:

> Elsa, yes, please send masa recipes.  I would really appreciate it.  Thank you,
>
> First of all here is the best recipe I know for making corn tortillas:

4 cups masa
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
About 3 cups warm water

Put the masa in a bowl, along with the soda and baking soda. Pour over it warm
water, stirring constantly until a soft dough is formed. You may not need to use
all of the water.

Pinch off a bit of dough, the size of a golf ball or even smaller. Pat the dough
into a flat circle. In Mexico, women pat the dough as they transfer it from one
hand to the other. Most of us, use an ordinary hand tortilla press. Put a piece of
plastic film on the press, top with the pat of masa and cover with a second piece
of film. Press.

Drop the tortilla on a hot griddle. Cook until it is dry, turn and finish cooking.
Put the finished tortilla on a tea towel, cover to hold in heat. Repeat at will.

Serve hot as a substitute for bread.

Unfortunately, I find all the rest of my recipes are in Spanish and I'm rusty so
I'd rather verify them before I send any: tamales, gorditas,

I also have a cornmeal souffle if you'd like. Is it cornmeal your husband uses or
grits?
Elsa