Re: [CH] Toronto food

Edmiston (edmiston@wardpress.com)
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 13:23:03 +0000

Margo Hobbs Thompson wrote:

> I'll be in Toronto next week for a conference and would appreciate any
> advice on cheap hot/ethnic restaurants. Emphasis on cheap.

If cheap's the operative word, I'd head on up to Gerrard St., Toronto's
Little India. Good eats and you can pick up a snappy little saree while
you're there.

There's a great Jamaican roti shop in Kensington Market, dirt cheap and
damn tasty, with lots of head-blasting sauces with which to zip up your
dinner.

I've yet to find a decent place to eat Mexican anywhere in this city,
cheap or no (Hint: Don't go to the place on Baldwin Street, it looks
"authentic" but the food sucks. There's one on Bloor Street where the
food is okay but the owner/waiter/chef has really grimy fingernails
which I find offputting). If you learn of one from other TO CHs, pls let
me know.

There are plenty of other places scattered throughout the city but I've
yet to find one that offers really good food at a value-minded price.
Thai joints abound but the quality of ingredients is to my mind is
mediocre. There are plenty of Schechwan places too; they may be okay, I
don't eat Chinese so I can't vouch for them.

A word of warning: Waiters here rarely take you seriously when you say,
"I want it hot. No really, I mean hot!" You have to hammer it into their
heads before you even have a hope of getting what you want. Don't let
them pull the "I'll bring you hot sauce on the side" routine; insist on
having your meal prepared the way you want it.

HTH.