Re: [CH] Chicken broth and Horseradish

Lorraine Heidecker (lheid@saclink.csus.edu)
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 13:57:48 -0700 (PDT)

The best way to get really HOT horseradish is have really frest roots
and not to grate them until you are ready to use them.  The easiest way
to do this is in a food processer.  (Ithink one reason for adding beets
to horseradish done on an old-fashioned grater is to hide bloodstains
from the bits of knuckle incorporated.)  If you do this, keep your face
away from the container when you take off the lid.  A lifetime of
chile-eating will not prepare you for what those vapors can do to your
eyes and sinuses!

Fresh-grated hourseradish root goes really well with short ribs or
potroast or even beef stew.  Of course it is an excelletn inclusion in a
cocktail sauce for raw oysters or boiled shrimp.  It can be gentled down
some with cream or incorporated into a white sauce to give it some zip.
If you want to grate a batch ahead, adding a little vineger and a bit of
salt will help it keep its zip for a few days.

The Japanese will serve a fresh-grated heap (elegantly presented is a
small bamboo box - man those people have taste!) as a condiment with
shabu-shabu or other beef dishes.

In the fall when you must dig out the remaining roots or loose them to
frost, just brush off the dirt and hang them up someplace where they will
be cool and get some air.  (Like in an onion bag.)  They will keep pretty
well and this was you will have fresh root all winter and probably viable
bits to plant again in the spring!  It is my understanding that they are
very prolific and spread like mad!

Good luck!

Peace, love and peppers
Lorraine