Re: [CH] Fwd News Article: Pepper Spray May Attract Bears

The Old Bear (oldbear@arctos.com)
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 02:16:06 -0500

In ChileHeads Digest, v.4 No.318, John Benz Fentner, Jr. wrote:

>Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 13:11:54 -0500
>From: "John Benz Fentner, Jr." <jbenz@courant.infi.net>
>Subject: Re: [CH] Fwd News Article: Pepper Spray May Attract Bears
>
>Well....actually, there's a big difference between black and brown bears.
>Blacks are a lot smaller and a lot more timid so, generally, making noise
>and a swat on the nose will send 'em on their way unless you have them
>cornered or appear to be threatening their cubs . . . A brown bear, on
>the other hand, is 4 or 5 times the size of a black, is unimpressed by
>anything smaller than an Abrams tank, generally has no sense of humor
>and will eat you on general principles...particularly if you smell like
>chile peppers. It is best to avoid antagonizing them.

Absolutely!

MsBear and I were at a wildlife center in Maine a while ago.  They
had this big plywood cutout of a brown bear and a sign which
explained that North American Brown Bears range in weight from
250 to 650 pounds and in size from 4-ft 6-in to about 6-ft 6-in.

MsBear's comment was that I was definitely tall and thin for a
bear.

Must be all those chiles.

Cheers,
The Old Bear