Re: [CH] a recipe and Calvin's powder

Calvin Donaghey (gdonaghey@bitstreet.com)
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 19:15:59 -0600

Bill Williams wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> For years my favorite recipe has been a dish called Cajun Shrimp, which
> I'm about to pass along.  But first let me say that what everybody likes
> about it is the dipping sauce that the shrimp swim in and that you soak
> up with french bread.
>
> So here's the real reason for this message - since I live in a small
> town, and not near either coast, decent shrimp is hard to come by.. so I
> thought I'd just make the sauce, without shrimp.. quick, easy and
> wonderful!!!
>
> 1/2 cup olive oil
> 6 garlic cloves, chopped
> 4 green onions, chopped - or you can use one regular onion diced
> 12 dried hot red chiles
> 14 drops hot pepper sauce
> 2 1/2 pounds med. shrimp, peeled, tails left on
> 1/2 cup soy sauce
> french bread
>
> heat oil over med-high heat in a large skillet
> add garlic and saute a bit
> add onion - if using regular onion let it saute a while too
> add chiles and hot pepper sauce and simmer for three minutes
> add soy sauce and shrimp and simmer 2-4 minutes till shrimp are done
> Serve in bowls with bread for dipping
>
> Notice that when I assembled the ingredients I left out the shrimp.
> That's because, the last time I made it I just made the sauce for
> dipping.  If you actually have shrimp, you add it when you add the soy
> sauce.. if you're not gonna use shrimp, you might add a few drops of
> fish sauce instead, but beware of saltiness - the combo of soy sauce and
> fish sauce can make a salty broth.
>
> Now for a rare, negative comment on Calvin's powder.. although wonderful
> with food, my first experience with this stuff was the required, moisten
> the finger taste test - gooood stuff, but somehow I got some in my EYE!
> ;-)  This is not recommended.....
>
> Bill,
	The recipe sounds great, since I love fresh shrimp.  Sorry about your
eye, though.  Although the powder is definitely not as hot as some,
there are still some precautions that apply.  Unfortunately, I couldn't
afford to send out shaker bottles with the samples.  I have had it in my
eyes, as well, and was pretty miserable for a while.

              Calvin