Re: [CH] Foliage changing color

harryo@dave-world.net
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 08:41:33 +0000

I do not remember the original post, describing the symptoms, but
yellowing plants could indeed be a sign of chlorosis.  However, one
of the more common types, is iron chlorosis, which is caused by soil
that is too alkaline, not too acidic.  The high pH ties up available
iron and makes it unavailable to the plants.  Overwatering, poorly
drained soils, damaged roots and  too high of levels of manganese,
copper or zinc can also contribute to iron chlorosis problems.

If the soil is too alkaline, lowering the pH by adding ammonium
sulfate or sulfur can correct it.  Adding chelated iron to the soil
or applied as a foliar spray will give a quick fix, but not a
permanent one.

Note that the symptoms of iron chlorosis are often confused with
deficiencies of  magnesium, manganese , boron or other possible
non-nutrient related problems.  Some viral diseases also have similar
symptoms.

Harry