Re: [CH] Chipotles in the spotlight

Jonathan T. Smillie (jsmillie@protix.com)
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 16:46:05 -0600

At 10:55 AM 3/11/98 CST, Thomas P Denton wrote:

>Plunk your magic twanger, Froggy, and point your web browser at
><www.dallasnews.com/index/food-nf.htm>.

I checked out this link, and found some good information, but I have
a question for the list. According to the article referenced:

>Although there are several types of chipotle chilies,
>only the morita is available in the United States. In
>Mexico, the tipico variety is prized for its more
>intense smoky flavor. (It's smoked longer than the
>morita.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't somebody state on this list
not long ago that a "morita" is in fact a smoked serrano chile?
Which statement is correct? Or is the same term, morita, used
in the US to denote a smoked serrano but in Mexico for a type
of chipotle? Or the other way round?

Thanks,

Jonathan

*  "What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were *
*  like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of     *
*  methane and ammonia must be silent?                                *
*  - Richard P. Feynman (1918- 1988)                                         *