Re: [CH] Lighting

Lynn Edwards (ledwards@crl.com)
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 21:37:56 -0800

MidNite RamBler wrote:

> does anyone have any experience with Sylvania Gro-Lux fluorescents?
> They are supposed to be used for plant growing and The Pepper Garden also
> mentions them as preffered by many , but are they good for vegetative growth,
> or for the flowering stage? Are cool-whites better for vegetative growth?

As far as seedlings go, don't waste your money on Gro-Lux or Vita Lite or other
expensive bulbs.  I've tried both side by side with cool whites but have no
convincing evidence that they are any better than cheap cool white bulbs.
Shouldn't something that costs six or more times the price produce casually
obvious improved results?  They don't show any in my experience.

However, I have found that spending an equivalent amount of money on a lot more
more "cheap" light is more effective than spending it on less but expensive
light.

I don't know about flowering or fruiting under fluorescents since I'm using the
sun by that time.

Lynn Edwards
http://www.crl.com/~ledwards