Re: [CH] Odds-n-Ends

Calvin Donaghey (gdonaghey@bitstreet.com)
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 19:12:24 -0600

Goslowsky, George wrote:

> I found this on the History Channel's web page :
>
> 1941 - The first paprika mill was incorporated in Dollon, SC. Now you know
> where those little paprikas that spice up your potato salad come from...
>
> Also, while in Auburn, AL checking out apartments for my daughter come this
> fall I stopped at a Krogers to check on part-time jobs.  While I was there I
> checked the chiles available (so-so variety) and stumbled on El Grandeli
> brand Habanero Flour Tortillas.  Thinking that this was too good to be true,
> I bought a bag.  But I didn't get to try them until today.
>
> I scrambled some eggs with chorizo and spread that down the middle of a
> tortilla.  I then added some chile pepper jack cheese and some chipotle
> salsa.  Fold it, roll it and eat.  Overall the meal was outstanding, but any
> flavor the tortillas had was lost in the other ingredients.  I think tonight
> I will try one warmed and spread with butter only.
>
> So now I have an additional reason for visiting my daughter!  I will look
> around, maybe they make other flavors as well.
>
> C ya...
> George J. Goslowsky
> Monk of TCS
> Holder of Fire

George-
	Try your tortillas with honey and chile powder or sliced chiles.  Add
the honey and chiles or powder, dash on some sharp shredded cheese, roll
tightly and warm in an oven, microwave or non-stick skillet.  After
heating, let them stand for about 5 minutes.  Something happens between
the tortilla and honey that I really like.  Then, of course, everything
is good with Chiles on it.  I have a friend who moved here from Mexico
several years back and his wife does this with tortillas, with
outstanding results.  She also makes the tortillas.  So much to taste,
so little time.
                  Calvin